Diani Beach is a major beach resort on the Indian Ocean coast of Kenya. It is located 30 kilometres south of Mombasa, in the nearby Kwale County. The beach is about 10 kilometres long, from the Kongo river to the north and Galu beach to the south.
Diani beach boasts of some of the best beach resorts in the coast of Kenya and East Africa at large. These include the Leopard Beach Resort & Spa, Southern Palms Beach Hotel, The Sands at Nomad and Waterlovers Beach Resort among others.
Below are the top ten activities that we suggest you plan to do the next time you visit Diani Beach.
- Swimming at the beach – Diani Beach is one of the best beaches in the world. It has beautiful, white powder soft sand, warm sea and fairly clean beaches with very little debris or plastics. It is great for family with children.
- Dhow Safaris – If you stay in Diani, you can take the famous dhow trips to Kisite Marine Park. Depending on who you book with, you need to be careful that you are taken right into the park for great experience. The jetty is located at Shimoni and various providers have boats of different seizes. You will have lunch at Wasini Island and also take a village tour.
- Nature and Wildlife Tours – There are several parks within the vicinity of Diani beach that can be visited on a 1 day tour. These include Shimba Hills which is about 30KM away and Tsavo East National Park which is about 100KM away. You will leave your hotel early morning after breakfast, have lunch at a lodge in Shimba Hills or Tsavo East and come back in time for dinner at your hotel.
- Scuba and Snorkeling – This would normally be combines with the Dhow Safaris to Kisite Marine Park. However, not all people are comfortable with snorkeling and scuba diving. It is a reserve of a few. The rest would just do well with dhow sailing and fine sea food dining.
- Water sports – Some of the watersport activities include kite surfing, wind surfing, kayaking, and stand up paddling. For those who can swim and are interested in these sports, lessons can also be offered at a fee.
- Golfing – Diani offers one of the most exciting and exacting golf courses in Africa’s amateur circuit. Numerous tournaments are hosted here, including the Diani Beach Masters. The course features a variety of engaging challenges, including 88 bunkers, a giant lake in an old quarry on the 15th hole and a smaller lake teeming with aquatic life on the 18th hole. Playing here is a memorable experience.
- Fishing charters and Tours – Diani has some of the best fishing on the globe. On offer are most of the small, medium and large pelagic tropical fish like Marlin, Sailfish, Shark, Tuna, Dorado, Barracuda, Kingfish, etc. Apart from the fishing, you might be lucky to see dolphins swimming along with the boat.
- Adrenaline and Extreme Activities – Discover what it means to fly during a tandem skydive over the beach. Tandem skydiving allows you to experience the thrill of a free fall and a magnificent canopy flight over the coastline without any significant training. Nothing on earth can beat this experience.
- Colubus Conservation – The drive to Colobus Conservation is very short – only a couple of minutes as it’s in Diani – beach side of the road. The tour lasts for about an hour showing how the organization works to save the monkeys and forests of the area. It is a great way to get out of the hotel and support conservation while you are in Diani.
- Shopping – It is not like Diani is a shopping destination. It cannot be. However, it has a small shopping centre that offers a variety of items, mainly souvenirs for those who would wish to leave with memories of the place. There are shops for convenient items and a large supermarket is also within the vicinity of Diani Beach.